Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Come With Me into the Sea

This wonderful mermaid drawing comes from a book from my fairytale collection. She is indeed lovely, a true siren.

I love mermaids, but in many stories of the sea, they 're rather dastardly. These beautiful creatures have been known to lure ships onto the rocks, to pull a sailor beneath the waves to suffocate him. There are even tales of stolen lovers and missing children.

Still, I tentatively choose to believe there are those among the merfolk, who love mankind and choose to be good to them.

5 comments:

Lois said...

It is a lovely drawing! I really like the touches of blue.

Debby said...

WOW!!!! Gorgoeus drawing, love mermaids.
debby

Clytie said...

I like to think that the dastardly mermaids are a limited few, and for the most part merfolk are kind, gentle, fun-loving beings. Beautiful drawing too.

JANN said...

I have a mermaid book and it tells of the history of them and yes it says they were horrible creatures. Original mermaids had claws and wings and didn't look like the mermaids we think of. We seem to believe them as good but they were originally known to be killing creatures like you first mentioned. Wish you could read this book it is pretty interesting.

Hey Beth,
I gave you a award, PLEASE CHECK OUT
my blog.

JANN said...

forgot to mention, LOVE this drawing ....